This time of year is unpredictable when it comes to weather in Texas. Did you know lightening kills more people each year than tornadoes or hurricanes? Lightning can be unpredictable, so follow these steps to keep your and your family safe from the storm.
- Always know your local weather forecast. Try to stay at home until the storm has passed, or until thirty minutes after the last thunderclap. Every thunderstorm produces lightning.
- If you have to be out on the road, look for thunder, darkening skies, increasing wind and flashes of light. If a storm is approaching, safely exit the roadway park your vehicle and turn on your hazard lights. Avoid pools of water or lower ground, as flooding may be an issue. Also avoid high areas, tall isolated trees and utility poles. If you can safely take shelter in a nearby building, do so. If your vehicle if your shelter, stay put! Do not get out to film the lightning, no matter how Instagram worthy.
- Close the windows. A lightning strike could jump inside if they are open.
- Fold your hands in your lap to avoid touching metal or other conductive surfaces in or outside the vehicle including radios, cell phone chargers, GPS devices, foot pedals or your steering wheel.
- If lightning does strike your vehicle, you’ll hear a boom and see a bright flash and possible sparks as well.
- It’s a myth that rubber tires protect your from lightning. It’s actually the metal that matters. If lightning strikes, it will generally flow along the vehicles metal cage and into the ground without seriously injuring you. Vehicles with non-metal roofs like convertibles or those with fiberglass shells will likely not protect you from lightning. If you drive a car like this, it’s even more important to stay off the road.
- It is technically safe to exit your vehicle after the electrical current has passed into the ground. But it’s a good idea to wait until the thunderstorm has moved on before getting out of your car. Lightning can strike twice.
- If someone in your vehicle is hit by lightning, immediately call 911. If the person struck has stopped breathing, begin administering CPR and continue until breathing resumes or professional help arrives. People struck by lightening do not retain an electrical charge and can be handled safely.
- Remember- If you are caught in a lightning storm, pull over to a safe place, turn on hazard lights, close windows and always avoid touching metal.
This week, Leif Johnson Ford took a mini road-trip to Kellie’s Baking Company. Our team at LJF loves supporting local businesses, as we have been a local Austin business for 60 years. We’re lucky to be surrounded by other awesome and unique spots, and Kellie’s is most definitely one of them.
We decided to take the 2017 F-150 Lariat to Kellie’s. Our sales expert Bob told us his favorite things about this sweet ride on the drive over.
Here’s the lowdown on Bob’s fave’s:
3.6 Liter V6 EcoBoost; 10 speed transmission
Lightweight body / High-strength military grade aluminum alloy. Stronger yet lighter than the typical steel used on trucks.
The Lariat edition offers upgraded Sony stereo, twin panel moon roof, blind spot assist, etc.
Now that we’ve covered the sweet ride, let’s move onto the sweet treats.
Kellie’s Baking Company has been in business for ten years and at the Burnet Road location for three. They flooded a year and a half ago and reopened just two months ago. They are back and better than ever. If you want magnificently large Nutella stuffed cookies or cookie dough in a cone (no ice cream needed), then this is the place for you. As a bonus, their interior is adorable and the outside offers the “Sweet! you’re here” Texas-shaped sign that is becoming increasingly more popular for photo ops in the .
Did we mention that this spot is right down the road from Leif Johnson Ford? We think Kellie’s is the perfect spot to celebrate purchasing your new vehicle. We won’t judge if you break your Ford in with a cookie crumb or two.
Leif Johnson Ford is honored to be able to give back to our community in any way that we can. One of our favorite ways to serve our fellow Austinites is by partnering with Susan G. Komen each year for Truck Month. What is Truck Month? It’s a time period (we would say month, but one month is never quite enough for us!) where our customers help us donate to the fight against breast cancer. For every new F-150 or F-250 purchased, Leif Johnson Ford donates $100 to Susan G. Komen. This one hundred dollars affords a cancer screening, which could potentially be lifesaving.
Susan G. Komen envisions a world without breast cancer. They are the ONLY organization that addresses breast cancer on multiple fronts such as research, community health, global outreach and public policy initiatives in order to make the biggest impact against this disease. Their goal is to reduce the risk of breast cancer deaths by 50% by year 2026. With the help of the community (that’s you and me!), they can help make this goal a reality!
This year, we started in February and have just decided to extend our donations into April! So far, we have sold over 163 trucks which means that over 16,000 dollars has been donated to Susan G. Komen. But we’re far from being done yet, and with your help, we can make this our best Truck Month yet.
Thank you, Austin, for giving us the chance to serve you and for helping us fight cancer, one truck at a time!
Sky Canaves recently bought a Ford Escape from Leif Johnson Ford, and she couldn’t be more excited.
An avid runner, Sky recently took her new ride along for one of her races.
Here’s what she had to say:
“We drove to Cedar Park and back for a race today, and Tommy took some photos. The car is really helping me to feel more comfortable with driving.
So far, features I’ve enjoyed using most are the keyless passcode, seat memory, blind spot detectors, navigation system and the hands-free liftgate. It also just feels good to drive, much nicer than any other car I’ve handled.”
Did we mention that her and her husband are preparing to run the Boston Marathon? Talk about being #BuildFordTough!
Melissa and team couldn’t have been happier to get Sky in her new Ford and even more pumped for race day!
This is a Ford love story, in pictures and captions.
It all started at Leif Johnson Ford.
An explorer and travel lover needs and adventurous and spacious ride, and the Ford Transit fits the bill.A.Litsa fell in love and purchased this beauty, and the adventures began right away.
Biking, camping and endless exploring! San Angelo Park was amongst the first of adventures, and A. learned that she could fit, amongst other things, three bikes in the back of her Transit.
She also brought her boyfriend along for the excursion. She even built a platform in the back as a sleeping surface for the two of them!
And when your buddies are having car trouble? Transit to the rescue. It’s good to have friends in high places….Or #Ford places.
A was able to load ALL of her friends’ belongings into her Transit.
And they all lived happily ever after.
If that isn’t a love story, we don’t know what is.
Team Member Thomas Ledford has been a part of our Ford family for TEN years now. We are so grateful for his hard work, dedication and the positivity he brings to our dealership. As our team is the backbone and heart of our business, we wanted to do a quick interview so you could get to know Mr. Thomas a little bit more!
What is your favorite thing about working here: – All the different people. I also love all of the different challenges that come with each day.
What you have learned working with us for ten years? – I’ve learned both aspects – from service to parts. I’ve learned about different trends and different vehicles, and all the cool things that come with our new cars.
What do you like to do when you’re not at work?: I enjoy sports, going to my freshmen son’s football games in Hutto. And taking our boat out on the lake , dragging the tube around. An travelling!
As Thomas was being interviewed, he barely sat still for a moment. He is a talented multitasker, simultaneously talking as he takes on various other tasks to better our dealership. Thus the last question was more of a statement.
“You’re busy!” to which Thomas quickly replies, “ I like to stay busy!”
We wouldn’t want it any other way.
Thanks for all you do to make our team an amazing one, Thomas!
It’s officially that time of year again, folks!
Kids of all ages are back in school or getting ready for that day.
Backpacks and pencils are necessary, of course, but the older students might need a little something more. Highschoolers, undergrads and grad student, we’re here to show you a little Fiesta.
The Ford Fiesta has been named one of Kelley Blue Book’s ten best back to school vehicles for the second year in a row. Here’s why.
Pricing starts at just 14,880 at Leif Johnson Ford! A steal for the beauty and technology offered.
This ride helps to keep driver and passengers our of harm’s way with seven airbags including dual-stage front airbags, driver’s knee airbag, and front and rear side-curtain airbags. It gives drivers the latest in driver-assist technology, including standard integrated blind spot mirrors to help reduce rear-vision blind spots. Let us not forget AdvanceTrac® electronic stability control that automatically detects wheel slippage, adjusting torque and braking to maintain control and traction.
The Fiesta is comfortable, efficient and offers enhanced voice recognition, ultimate music streaming control and SYNC AppLink. Make it your ideal ride by choosing from either the Sedan or Hatchback.
And let’s face it, we want to ride to school in style. The Ford Fiesta is not only affordable and safe, it’s also fun to look at. It’s a vehicle student of all ages will love showing off.
Come into Leif Johnson Ford today and ride off in style!
(Thanks to Automotive World for the deets!)