This week we took a few minutes to talk to our service tech expert Barry Beard at our Truck City Ford location. He’s the best at quick but handy tips, and this week he gave our viewers some advice on vehicle flushing! This pro makes working under the hood look like a breeze. Take a look, y’all!
What to flush:
- Transmission Flush – Recommended every 30,000 miles. This is to keep the fluid clean and to keep all the detergents/oil.
2. Brake Fluid- Brake fluid breaks down every two years, and/or 30,000 miles. It begins to naturally take on water. Brake fluid does attract moisture, so it’s very important to make sure you’re keeping it clean.
3. Coolant– Coolant breaks down, especially when you have a vehicle that tows often. You’ll also want to flush your coolant system roughly every 30,000 miles. There are some higher-grade coolants that will claim to work for over 100k miles, but this is not recommended by Ford.
4. Fuel injection service– You can’t see it as easily as the rest, but it is there! This keeps your injectors clean. Gasoline isn’t perfect, and it is possible that you will pump bad gas into your car at some point. This could damage your car, so make sure you’re flushing your fuel injectors every 30k miles as well.
5. Last but not least, a throttle bottle cleaning. Your throttle body acts as a carburetor, where your air and fuel mix. Carbon does get built up inside of the throttle body, and an induction cleaner will keeps everything running smoothly for a better performance and better fuel mileage.
If this sounds intimidating, have no fear! Leif Johnson Ford is always here. Feel free to visit one of our locations or call us as (512) 454-3711 and we would be more than happy to assist with all of your flushing (or other vehicle) needs.